A pre-sessional course is defined in the Immigration Rules as “a course which prepares a student for thestudent’s main course of study in the UK”.

In order to be granted Tier 4 immigration permission, students must obtain a total of 40 points. Students are awarded 30 points for holding a valid CAS – Confirmations of Acceptance for Studies, and a further 10 points for having sufficient funds.

In order to issue a CAS letter:

The student must demonstrate their English is at B2 in all four components. A copy of one of the SELT* exams is required (proof of the student’s English level at CEFR Level B2 or above).

Secure English Language Test approved by UKBA

When student makes his/her application to us they will be asked to undertake a Skype interview. As a result of this interview Malvern House needs to be satisfied that student is genuine, and he/she can speak English to the required standard.

The Immigration Rules and corresponding guidance clearly state the amount of money that Tier 4 applicants must show in order to meet the maintenance requirements, and for how long they must have held this money. This will vary according to a student’s place of study and proposed length of study (see the link below for more specific information).

Tier4 Guidance

How long you can stay

You can arrive in the UK before your course starts:

  • up to 1 week before, if your course lasts 6 months or less
  • up to 1 month before, if your course lasts more than 6 months

How long you can stay depends on the kind of course you’re doing and what study you’ve already completed.

What you can and can’t do

You can:

  • study
  • work as a student union sabbatical officer
  • apply from inside or outside the UK apply to extend your stay
  • work – depending on what level your course is and what kind of sponsor you have

You can’t:

  • get public funds
  • work as professional sportsperson, including a sports coach

You may be able to bring in family members (dependants).